Only users with org admin privilege can set this up for their organization. Please contact Vocareum if you are interested in trying out this capability.
Go to your organization page by selecting "Edit Org" -
Windows Applications is built on top of AWS AppStream feature. Each organization has an associated AWS account which is managed by Vocareum.
- All Windows instances are launched in a subnet with a NAT gateway. The gateway has an IP address which should be visible to you.If your application needs access to any services are that running inside the firewall, you will need to configure the firewall to allow access from the gateway IP address.
- A budget - that is the maximum spend allowed under the account. Please contact Vocareum if you need the budget extended
- Cost Summary - Select the cost summary to get a detailed list of AWS cost incurred under the account.
Creating an Image
You need to first create images for the instances that will will be launched. Install the applications to create these images.
Select "Start/Connect" to launch an Image Builder instance if one is not running or connect to a running instance. It might take a few minutes for starting the Image Builder. Once the Image Builder is launched it will take you to an AWS AppStream Image Builder. Follow the instructions to save your image. Once you are done with the image, you can either stop or delete your image builder. Deleting does not incur any further charges but it takes longer to create a new instance than starting a stopped one.
Creating a Fleet
After creating an image, the next step is creating a fleet.
- Apps Image - Select from one of the images created in the previous step
- Instance type - select from one of the instance types where the application will be running
- Session Duration - This is time for which the instance will be running once a learner connects to a streaming instance
- Idle Timeout - This is time after which the instance will be released if no activity is detected
- Desired Capacity - This is the number of instances reserved for this fleet when it is running.
Select "Create Fleet" after setting the options.
Managing a fleet
Once the fleet has been created there are following options to manage it -
Start - Fleet will be start. The underlying instance are provisioned on-demand.
Stop - Stopping a fleet will continue to incur small charges
Modify - Change any of the options of a fleet
Delete - Permanently delete a fleet
Connect - For testing purpose you connect to an instance of a running fleet.
Enabling a course to use AppStream Fleet
Go to the Settings page for the course and enable Windows Application for that course. You will then be given the list of fleet to select from.
At this point the teacher will have the option to enable "Windows desktop" in the resource section of the part. If selected students will see an "Apps" button on their IDE which they can use to launch AppStream on that fleet.